According to a statement by the Publicity Secretary of NBA, Akorede Habeeb Lawal, the NBA President, Yakubu Chonoko Maikyau, SAN, is calling for expression of interest by qualified members of NBA, to the Bench of the Court of Appeal.
This call by NBA President, we gathered, is a response to the letter of 30th September 2022 from the Hon. President of the Court of Appeal, requesting the NBA to recommend suitably qualified persons for consideration for appointment to the Court of Appeal Bench.
Such suitable persons, are to fill the present and imminent 16 vacancies.
The slots available for nomination are:
(a) Two (2) slots for the North-Central geo-political zone.
(b) Three (3) slots for the North-East geo-political zone.
(c) Five (5) slots for the North-West geo-political zone.
(d) Three (3) slots for the South-East geo-political zone.
(e) Two (2) slots for the South-West geo-political zone.
(f) One (1) slot for the South-South geo-political zone.
All expressions of interest should include the following attached thereto:
1. A copy of the applicant’s Curriculum Vitae,
2. A copy of the applicant’s Call to Bar Certificate, 3. Evidence of payment of Bar Practicing Fees (BPF) as and when due, for the past 10 years,
4. Evidence of payment of NBA Branch Dues as and when due, for the past 10 years,
5. Evidence of attendance at Conferences of the NBA,
6. Evidence of membership of Sections or Fora of the NBA,
7. For legal practitioners in private practice, certified true copies of at least 5 Judgments delivered in contested cases conducted by the applicant in the 5 years preceding 2022,
8. A letter of good standing from the Chairman of the applicant’s Branch confirming that he or she possess the qualities set out in Rule 4(4)(1)(a), (b) and (d) of the National judicial Council Guidelines for the Appointment of Judicial Officers for Superior Courts of Record.
For the avoidance of doubt, these qualities are reproduced hereunder:
“In all cases:
a) Good character and reputation, diligence and hard work, honesty, integrity and sound knowledge of law and consistent adherence to professional ethics; As may be applicable:
b) Active successful practice at the Bar, including satisfactory presentation of cases in Court as a Legal Practitioner either in private practice or as a Legal Officer in any Public Service;
c) Credible record of teaching law, legal research in a reputable University and publication of legal works…”
Upon receipt of the expressions of interest, the National Secretariat shall publish the names of the interested candidates and request comments thereon from members of the NBA.
For further enquiries, kindly call Ayodeji on the following phone number: 0803 345 2825.